5 Tips for Visiting the Doctor
Preparation can help the trip to the doctor go more smoothly. Here are some tips for success:
1. Schedule the appointment at the best time of day for your client. For example, the client I work with functions better in the afternoon. There were times when we had to reschedule morning appointments for the afternoon because she didn’t want to get up, and therefore she wouldn’t cooperate with me.
2. Ask the doctors office staff when their office is generally the least crowded. Some clients may be upset by a full waiting room, or they just might not like crowds. Visiting the office when there are fewer people will cut down on the time you will have to wait too.
3. Bring along something for your client to eat, drink or do while you are waiting. Any activity he or she enjoys can really help to pass the time.
4. Have a friend go with you to the doctor so one of you can be with the client while the other is talking to the doctor.
5. Call the doctors office on the day of your appointment before you leave to see if the doctor is running late, and adjust your arrival time.
Planning ahead before the appointment with the doctor can really make the visit a more positive and relaxed experience.
Get on-call support from the privacy of your phone. Sign up below to receive text advice, and access to a trove of dementia resources for members.