9 THINGS YOU NEED WHEN YOU LEAVE THE HOSPITAL:
Mar 31, 2020
Before your loved one leaves the hospital, make sure you have:
- An understanding of your loved one’s condition and diagnosis, results of any tests, and any changes that have happened as a result of treatment during the hospital stay
- A written medication list (including dosage and potential side effects)
- A written list of any needed follow-up physicians visits
- An understanding of any problems or symptoms that may occur when the patient gets home – what to look for and when to call for help.
- A written care plan with next steps
- Any special equipment to prepare the home for your loved one’s return (hospital bed, home modification, rental equipment)
- Arrangements for home health care or home care aid services- find out what services insurance will and will not cover
- Education on any special needs your loved one may have when she arrives home
- Transportation home, or wherever your loved one will be going. Find out if insurance will pay for an ambulance, if necessary.